HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
For Holiday Hours & Special Closures, please refer to our homepage.
Click the ICE icon.
Army Emergency Relief (AER) is a private nonprofit organization, incorporated in 1942 by the Secretary of War and the Army Chief of Staff, which provides emergency financial assistance. Request for assistance and appointments during normal operating hours can be made by calling 334-255-2341. After duty hours and weekend emergencies can be assisted by calling the American Red Cross, 877-272-7337.
AER is available to active duty Soldiers and their Family members; ARNG and USAR Soldiers on active duty for more that 30 days, under title 10 orders, and their Family members; retired Soldiers and their Family members; surviving spouses and children of deceased active or retired Soldiers.
The Army-wide annual AER fund campaign is held 1 March – 15 May of each year. You may contribute online at www.aerhq.org, through your AER unit representative, or your local AER office. Donations are accepted year-round. All contributions are tax deductible. Support the Army’s own non-profit organization – a Strong Tradition of Soldiers helping Soldiers!
AER can normally assist with emergency needs for:
- Security deposit for primary residence
- Rent or mortgage payment for primary residence
- Utilities: gas, electric, water, sewage, trash, primary phone, cable, and internet
- Food, to prevent privation
- Emergency travel
- Emergency POV issues: gas, repair, insurance, loan payment for essential vehicle, or rental vehicle
- Dependant dental needs
- Funeral expenses
- Emergency medical and dental expenses not covered by insurance
- Repair or purchase of stove or refrigerator for primary residence
- Repair or purchase of HVAC for primary residence
- Purchase of economical/essential furniture (initial setup or disaster situation only)
- Purchase of child car seat
- Non-receipt of pay or loss of funds
- Non-receipt of advance travel pay (PCS only)
AER does not assist with:
- Nonessential needs
- Ordinary leave or vacation
- Fines or legal expenses
- Consumer debt, credit cards, or overdrawn bank accounts
- Home purchase, improvements, or repairs (other than mentioned above)
- Lease of a vehicle
- Income taxes
Active duty Soldiers needing assistance will need the Application for Army Emergency Relief Assistance, AER Form 700, or the Commander’s Referral Program Application, AER Form 600. Under the Commanders Referral Program, the Commander or First Sergeant may be the approving authority for assistance of up to $1,500 for active duty RA Soldiers (loan only; other requirements may apply). Rental vehicle not available under the Commander’s Referral Program. Please utilize the AER Checklist to determine other documentation needed.
Active duty Family members requiring assistance when their Soldier is not in the local area will need to provide a current Military ID, a Power of Attorney (POA), copy of orders, current address and contact information of Soldier, and other substantiating documents provided on the AER Checklist.
The Fort Rucker AER office also provides emergency assistance to members of other services through their respective aid societies. Army service members can also receive assistance at any Navy/Marine Relief Society, Air Force Aid Society or Coast Guard Mutual Aid Society. If there is no military aid society within a 50 mile radius, assistance can be obtained by calling the American Red Cross, 877-272-7337.
AER also provides scholarship programs for spouse and dependent children of active duty, retired, and fallen Soldiers. AER’s Education Program is a secondary mission to help Army Families with the costs of education. Forms and detailed information on the AER scholarship programs can be obtained by visiting www.aerhq.org.
Links & Downloads