Outdoor Recreation Service Center
West Beach, Lake Tholocco
Building 24235 on Johnston Road
SUMMER HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (unless otherwise posted)
Outdoor Recreation is closed for business on Thanksgiving, Christmas, & New Year’s Day.
For Holiday Hours & Special Closures, please refer to our homepage.
Outdoor Recreation is located on the West Beach side of Lake Tholocco, Fort Rucker. Lake Tholocco is a 640-acre lake that offers numerous recreational activities. Boating, skiing and swimming are favorite sports at the lake. Facilities include four fishing piers, beaches, pavilions, and clean restrooms. Fort Rucker has several excellent lakes and ponds for fishing: Lake Tholocco, Beaver Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Ech Lake, and Beaver Pond. Come try your luck with hybrid bass, catfish, crappie or bream and see if you’ll catch The Big One. Outdoor Recreation is EFMP Friendly!
There are 3 boat launch ramps on Lake Tholocco – West Beach Marina, East Beach, and Engineer Beach RV Campground. The daily fee to launch your vessel is $3, paid at the ramp. Monthly passes are available for $12.00 and Annual passes are available for $36.00 at the Outdoor Recreation Pro Shop office.
Lake Tholocco Swimming – CLOSED FOR THE SEASON
During swim season, swimming is allowed during designated day light hours only when lifeguards are on duty, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Children 3-12 years: $1.50 per person
- Youth 13-17 years: $2.25 per person
- Adults 18+ years: $3.00 per person
Annual swim passes are available – please see staff for details. Lake Tholocco does not offer group rates. Swimming fees are not included in pavilion rentals.
The lifeguard has the authority to close the swimming area when deemed unsafe.
- Children under 13 years of age must be accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.
- No glass of any kind is allowed on the beach.
- No pets are allowed on the beach or in the park, except in designated areas.
- No swimming outside of the roped-off area.
- No throwing of sand, rocks, sticks, or objects that may cause injury.
- No diving off of equipment.
- Stay out of the water during thunderstorms.
- No “Swimming at your own risk.”
- No recreational boating after dark.
West Beach Snack Bar
The Snack Bar at Lake Tholocco is open from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. Hours of operation for the Snack Bar are Wednesday through Friday from 12 p.m. until 2 p.m., Saturday & Sunday from 12 p.m. until 5 p.m., and holidays from 12 p.m. until 5 p.m. (unless posted otherwise).
The Snack Bar offers a menu of American fare, including: Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Chili Cheese Nachos, Buffalo Wings, Chicken Tenders, and Popcorn Shrimp, and assorted beverages.
Recreational Equipment Checkout
Outdoor Recreation offers Recreational Equipment Checkout on a first-come, first-serve basis. Equipment checkout reservations can be made over the phone with a valid VISA or MASTER CARD debit/credit card.
- Equipment fees must be paid in full at the time the reservation is made.
- There is a refundable deposit on equipment with the * symbol.
- Equipment with ** symbol Civil Guest must be sponsored by Military or DoD personnel to utilize this equipment.
- Patron must sign a check-out agreement form acknowledging they will be held financially responsible for damaged/missing equipment up to the replacement cost.
- Any equipment going out for a nightly check-out must be picked up by 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 3:30 p.m. on Saturdays and 3:30 p.m. on available Sundays.
- Patrons will be required to complete the Fort Rucker Boater Safety course in order to utilize any water-craft here on Lake Tholocco. Outdoor Recreation offers the course in the office during hours of operation, or you can click here to access the course online.
- Patrons will be responsible for reimbursing Outdoor Recreation for gasoline when utilizing recreational vessels.
- Army Fleet Support and personnel with a valid AFS ID badge are authorized to checkout equipment from Outdoor Recreation Equipment Rental, but may not sponsor a guest.
- Outdoor Recreation overseas picnic areas at Lake Tholocco (West & East Beach), Beaver Lake, and Buckhorn Lake. Patrons will need to reserve pavilion areas through Outdoor Recreation (Bldg 24236 Johnston Road), or call at (334) 255-4305.
- Reservations are subjected to change due to inclement weather or military requirements.
- Picnic areas are authorized for use on a first come-first served basis, unless reserved through the Outdoor Recreation Pro Shop. Reservations are confirmed only after receipt of appropriate fees, and are subject to cancellation restrictions.
- Units/Organizations must submit request in writing for organizational days at least 5 business days in advance. Military organizations using unit funds for organizational day events will receive $2.00 value per $1.00 spent in MWR facilities. Discounts do not apply when matching funds are provided. To take advantage of this opportunity, the unit fund custodian or his/her alternate will process a purchase request to the Resource Management Division, DFMWR, to use unit funds to pay for the established picnic area fees.
Available Areas & Prices
- West Beach Pavilion # 1 – Accommodates 30-35 people. Located near the playground. The pavilion does not have water or electricity. There are 2 park grills, 4 tables, 2 trash cans. $25.00 daily/$125.00 weekly
- West Beach Pavilion # 3 – Accommodates 75-100 people. Located near restrooms, and has a playground associated with pavilion. The pavilion is a large screened in area with electricity, water, 1 park grill. $50.00 daily/$250.00 weekly
- West Beach Pavilion # 5 – Accommodates 45-50 people. Located near restrooms, and has a playground associated with pavilion. The pavilion does not have water or electricity. There are 4 park grills, 2 trash cans. $25.00 daily/$125.00 weekly
- West Beach Pavilion # 6 – Accommodates 45-50 people. The pavilion has water and electricity. There is 1 park grill, 4 tables, 2 trash cans. $30.00 daily/$150.00 weekly
- West Beach Gazebo – Accommodates 25-30 people. The gazebo has electricity. There are no tables, chairs, water or grills located at this site. $75.00 daily/$375 weekly
- East Beach Pavilion – Accommodates 75-100 people. Located near the restrooms. The pavilion has a large open pit barbeque grill, water, and electricity. $50.00 daily/$250.00 weekly
- Beaver Lake Pavilions (1 & 2) – Accommodates 30-35 people. Pavilions have table, trashcans, and an associated playground. No water, electricity, or restrooms. $25.00 daily/$125.00 weekly
- Buckhorn Lake Pavilions (1& 2) – Accommodates 25-30 people. There are tables, 4 trashcans, and porta potty restrooms. There is no swimming, water or electricity. Buckhorn Lake availability is on a weekly schedule due to military training. Call for details. $25.00 daily/$125.00 weekly
Conditions of Use
- Lake Tholocco (West & East Beach), Buckhorn Lake, and Beaver Lake are open from sunrise to sunset. To remain after dark, patrons must have written consent from Outdoor Recreation.
- There is no recreational (boating, tubing or swimming) activity allowed on Lake Tholocco after sunset.
- Patrons are responsible for keeping a rental sales receipt in their possession while utilizing rented pavilions.
- Driving or parking on the grass is prohibited.
- Pets are only allowed in the designated pet areas. Pets are not allowed on the beach, or in the swimming area, and must be kept on a leash at all times. You must clean up and dispose of any pet waste.
- Loitering in the vehicle parking lot is not permitted.
- Alcohol may not be consumed in the vehicle parking lot areas.
- Glass is not allowed in any picnic area, park area, or vehicle parking area.
- Music must be maintained at a respectful volume that does not interfere with other patrons in the area. Please play music that is appropriate in a Family environment.
- Leaving children unattended at any Fort Rucker lake or picnic/park area will be governed by guidance in the Army Aviation Warfighting Center Regulation 608-6, Supervision of Children. (January 2007)
- Patrons will be responsible for cleaning up the area used prior to leaving.
- Pavilion reservations are subject to cancellation due to an emergency, military training, inclement weather conditions, or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Patrons may cancel without financial penalty by giving a cancellation 24-hours prior to the reservation day.
- Camping Equipment
- Boats & Accessories Issue
- Sport Equipment
- Canopies, Tables, Chair Issue
- Fort Rucker Fishing and Hunting Permits
- Alabama State Fishing and Hunting Licenses
- Paintball Field & Equipment Issue (Dothan Survival Games, Inc) 334-793-8202 West Beach, Lake Tholocco Paintball EFMP Friendly/Open to the public
Fort Rucker ODR Fields Hours of Operation
Saturday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday: 1 - 5 p.m.
Open during the week by reservations only.
Cost: $25.00 per person/ $20.00 per person with group of 10+
Includes: All day field usage, equipment, unlimited CO2 and 100 paintballs.